Captain's BLog

February 27, 2006

Finding Providence

After reading Donald's recent blog entry I felt compelled to share some of my own thoughts, as well as express my gratitude to God. I've often looked back on my life, on the journey I've taken that has lead me to where I am now, and everytime I do I see one thing: Providence. I have no doubt that every place I have been on my journy, and every person I have met and created deep friendships with, has been according to God's greater purpose for my life. When I first moved to Escondido I wasn't too happy, having left behind everyone and everything I knew, yet I was rather calm and accepting at the same time. I have always had a very "go with the flow" attitude, and it has served me well. In fact, it's almost as though the idea of going wherever God leads me without questioning His plan for my life has always been written on my heart, before I even attended my first Sunday school class.

In any case, now that I have the luxury of looking back on my life and seeing a larger (though still limited) picture, I see beyond any doubt God's providence at work. As I have said before, I feel a strong ambition (or perhaps calling is a better word) to do something great in service of the Lord. Two of my now closest friends feel alomost identical callings, just in different areas of society. You can't convince me that this is mere coincidence.

Dordt, though I was only there for one year, introduced me to new ideas and new people who have also become close friends and who I would not have met otherwise. Even Palomar, despite it feeling like a waste of time, introduced me to new ideas and helped me to grow as a student and as a Christian.

Most recently, just when I was starting to think that no college was the right one for me, I had the opportunity to visit Biola. It was exactly what I needed. I have no doubt now that I'm supposed to go there. I'll be there next Fall (Lord willing) and I'm very excited at the prospects that brings. My personal faith has been growing recently, I've been reading my Bible nightly, as well as a number of other philosophical/theological books, and I even decided to start going to evening service every week all on my own! Heh. Now Biola will present me with countless opportunities to serve the Lord as I continue my studies, and I'm downright giddy.

I have so much more to learn, especially with regards to Reformed theology (and just theology in general). Some of that I will be able to do at Biola, some I won't. But I will continue to grow and shape my worldview secure in the knowlege that God does indeed have a plan for my life.
In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will
-Ephesians 1:11

3 Comments:

  • You've nailed it dude. I feel totally the same thing. Especially about the whole 'go with the flow' attitude. It's like, if I remain flexible enough, I can almost tangibly feel God's Hands sometimes telling me where I should go...or I can look back and clearly see that he just molded me or the world around me in a certain way.

    Although we don't technically believe in luck, I feel very lucky...from the friends I have, to my upbringing, to just simple day-to-day events. I believe in providence because I've seen it and felt it, not just because it sounds good on paper.

    By Blogger Donald, at February 27, 2006 7:14 AM  

  • Yeah. I felt this same way last year at this time before God used Reynolds to direct me to Torrey. I've found that I've been challenged both spiritually and intellectually, and it has been really good for me.

    I'm excited that you and Donald are also in this same boat - it's good to have friends like you on this kind of journey.

    By Blogger D.R. Steeve, at February 28, 2006 12:40 AM  

  • I am so thankful and relieved that you are finding your way in life, knowing you are following God's lead. As much as I try to "tell" you that your have been blessed by God's providence through your whole life, it so much better for you to see it and know it yourself.
    I am blessed by all three of you young men. God continue to go with each of you.
    Mom - Dave's and yours too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 01, 2006 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
hit count
Internet Providers