Captain's BLog

August 29, 2006

Starting a New Chapter

Well now, It's been a while since I've updated. It's been one of those "more has happened in the last week than happened the whole summer" kind of weeks.

First off, Steve's wedding. It was awesome, but very surreal. I can't believe Steve Hoekstra is a married man. The day he starts having kids I might just faint. And yet somehow this sense of shock and awe in no way reflects my feelings about my own wedding. Perhaps that's still too far away yet (or I'm just me). It was a fun weekend and, though it strained my bank account quite a bit, it made for a great last hurrah before all the guys had to part ways once more. Dustin and I decided to power it all the way home on Sunday, approximately a 19 hour drive, after enjoying only 3 hours of not so blissful sleep the night before. It was fun though, and it was nice to get home quicker and have all day monday to do...nothing.

Then there's school. After two years at Palomar (which I actually appreciate more now because it was a much cheaper way of fulfilling all my GE and I got my AA in Liberal Arts [hopefully the first of many degrees], so at least I have something to show for my time there) I am back at a 4-year college. My class load is all Bible and Philosophy courses with a LOT of reading, so I'm really excited. The more I read and talk about new and interesting things in class the more I'll have to blog about (on my new blog which will soon be unveiled!). More importantly though, I'm already seeing a huge difference in the quality and character of the teachers and students here as compared to Palomar. Not only do I know that everyone, or at least nearly everyone here is a Christian, but most of them seem a lot more passionate about their Christianity than a lot of other Christians I've met. And not just in the "let's roll around on the floor and sing a crappy praise song!" sort of way, but in a much more serious and intellectual way. It's pretty amazing actually, and I'm very thankful to be in an atmosphere where I can focus more on growing as a Christian in a very real way and not be distracted by all sorts of outside influences. A small guys group will be meeting in my room every Sunday night (comprised of Dustin and myself as well as a couple other really solid guys) where we'll discuss topics of interest regarding the church as well as personal issues and then pray about them. There's also a very passionate Calvinist contingency on campus (albiet certainly a minority), two of whom will be in our guys group, so that's releaving.

My 21st birthday party was a last-minute success. Dustin's parents, Donald's parents and sister, Josh's parents, my Mom, Steph and her parents all joined me at Acapulco for an enjoyable evening. I had a margarita to celebrate, and now my drinking days are primarily over (I won't rule out the occasional drink with friends, but I hate most forms of alcohol, I don't really understand the desire to drink it in the first place [especially when they're so much more expensive than a regular drink], and I can't drink on or off campus while I'm enrolled at Biola anyway). The Roths gave me an assortment of superman related goodies, including a ridiculously big pair of Clark Kent glasses, which I wear proudly. Thanks guys! And thanks so much to all of you for the thoughtful cards and much needed money you gave me. You're the best friends' parents ever! :P And thanks to my dear mommy for putting it all together for me and buying me alcohol! I love you.

Now I must read 15 chapters in Genesis and get to sleep at a reasoble hour (after a quick snack, of course).

4 Comments:

  • Hee hee! You got carded.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 30, 2006 8:35 PM  

  • Yeah but I didn't! :( Don't I look 21? Don't answer that!

    I had a wonderful weekend while Dave was home. Got caught up on his travels since he was gone over a week to the wedding and back to school. But we did see in his 21st Birthday together! I was afraid I'd miss the actual day after waiting 21 years for it.

    I am so glad to hear how you really like your continuing school experience and the direction it is going. I've wanted you to get involved with a group of true, dedicated, passionate people for Christ. And I am very glad you'll have the group meeting on Sundays, to discuss and pray. (Remember classes at 8:00AM Monday though) :)

    I thank everyone also for helping us make Dave's B-day a lot of fun. You can always count on parents, even if their kids aren'available. I am glad our children might be scattered for schools and such, but they remain best friends and keep in touch. I would pray they do that throughout their whole lives.

    Your are most welcome dear son,
    Mommy

    By Blogger Janis, at August 31, 2006 9:43 AM  

  • Happy Birthday! :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 02, 2006 12:24 AM  

  • Dave, I think you should post a picture of you in your awesome glasses for all of those who weren't there. :)

    By Blogger glimmerofhope, at September 23, 2006 5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
hit count
Internet Providers